Iran has launched two ballistic missiles, U.S. officials told Fox News.
Iran launched the two short-range ballistic missiles from Revolutionary Guard Corps bases in southeastern Iran over the weekend, according to one official. The first missile was fired on Saturday, but missed its target. On Sunday, Iran is said to have tried again and been successful.
Both target locations were in the Gulf of Oman. The successful attempt was said to have destroyed a floating barge.
The news of the tests comes the say same day as South Korea and Japan reel from North Korea’s latest test.
In February, the Trump administration put Iran “on notice” following a missile test. The news of that status was delivered by then-National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, who has since resigned from the administration. Iran nonetheless test-fired another missile after being put “on notice.”
The new national security advisor, H.R. McMaster, has not yet elaborated publicly on Iran in a similar fashion since taking the job.
President Donald Trump touted that he had “imposed new sanctions on entities and individuals who support Iran’s ballistic missile program” in his address to Congress last week.
Tags: Iran, weapons, missiles, North Korea, world news, national security